Thursday, August 28, 2008

3...2...1 You have arrived!

3...2...1 You have arrived!

Since I know there are so many people who are going to be checking, I will make a quick (ok, not so quick as you know how much I like to use words) entry to let you all know that I am safely here. What an odyssey! def. a long series of travels and adventures It began on Monday, early afternoon with a three hour drive to Salt Lake City - that's what living in the rural west demands to get to a major airport. John and I had determined that afternoon and evening would be taken at a much slower pace than the past few weeks and we crazy Americans are conditioned to living. We had a very nice early dinner together at one of our favorite places and then received one of many special favors from God as we checked into our hotel and discovered that the rate was going to be greater than what the reservations person had told me. Her mistake, but in compensation we were given the executive suite, with amenities abounding, not many of which we used since we were only there overnight, but I sure did enjoy the private jacuzzi! I thought to myself, "what a gift from God, as I know this is my last bath for a few weeks, it's two minute limit showers after this." They had breakfast ready for us early as well, prior to leaving for the airport at 0540. I am so glad that I had a good eight hours of sleep, because that was my last time in the horizontal position for almost 35 hours.

Flights went well, not a single hitch. I flew first to Chicago with a lay over. While sipping an iced coffee drink in a crowded food court, I heard a voice asking if a family of five could join me at me corner of the room while they waited their plane. Looking up, I noted the Mercy Ships logo on the shirt of the man and woman, and said, "most certainly, I think we are going to be sharing small quarters for a few weeks to come," and that was my first meeting with Liberia bound people. Across the food court they pointed out to me another man and two children, also Mercy Ships bound. He’d left his wife and brand new baby in Seattle, as they await citizenship papers for the new baby before they will return to Africa Mercy as well. The man and his two older children were coming now, as school at Africa Mercy’s academy starts now.

Boarding time for Brussels came, and none of us were seated together. But, this world, as many say, is so small. I sat in my assigned place, and directly in front of me was looking at the wording on a cap that mentioned Sioux City, on a man about my age. Next to him was a young woman and next to her an elder gentleman. Behind him, in the row I was sitting, an empty seat initially between us, was a young woman who was traveling with them. She asked where I was going, and when I responded, “Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa,” she said that was where they were all going as well. I immediately asked “what for?” and she said that her cousin, the daughter of the man in front of me, was working as a missionary in Monrovia, with Samaritan’s Purse. They were going to work with her for two weeks. What a great three generation opportunity. That elder gentleman will be 80 in December, and when asked if they had to drag him along or if he came voluntarily, his response was something to the effect, “wild horses couldn’t keep me from coming.” For those of you close to my home of origin, the man and his father and daughter lived near Hawarden and Ireton, and the niece, sitting in my row, lives in Sioux Falls. So we had some good old “home” talk.

It was a short night flying over the northern Atlantic, sundown to sunup about 4 hours. I dozed, but certainly not restoratively. Brussels was totally overcast, so there was not much opportunity to see much, maybe that was ok, the early morning glare of the sun on the short night, might not have been so welcome. After another lay-over of about four hours we boarded for Monrovia. I didn’t succumb to purchasing any snacks or drinks in Brussels, it’s no joke, the Euro is very strong on our very weak US dollar! One bottle of water cost the Hawarden man $7 US.

The Brussels Air flight was not nearly full, so there was more opportunity to stretch out a bit, and let me tell you, I sure took advantage. The six hour plus flight went quickly as I did catch a few winks. Soon they were showing the African continent on our inflight computerized flight pattern drop down screen and we were approaching Monrovia. I couldn’t see much as I was seated in the center section of the plain, but I knew we made a turn around over the Atlantic, then our approach to the airport, with the lush green of the tropical flora abounding. Laura was right, long airstrip, whitewashed cinder block terminal, our airplane the only one! “Welcome to Africa.” And the first thing you notice as you walk out the airplane and down the stairs is the near sauna like heat and humidity.

Mercy Ships personnel meet the incoming crew volunteers and assist with the loading of luggage, (which all arrived, although one suitcase was broken) and getting us the 60 plus kilometers from the airport to the ship. Good thing, as there are literally dozens of nationals crowding around you, wanting to load your luggage and of course expecting the tips that would be provided. I had been forewarned, and of course we all know that is so helpful in staying off the droves. All of us arriving crew stuck close together to help hold this at bay as well. It was good to have some returning crew as well, as they sure knew the ropes.

As Liberia has been at peace now for a couple years, one is safe to travel, but our Mercy Ships driver did say it has only been very recently that the UN checkpoints have been removed, and one can still see where they were set up. The Africa Mercy is at its own UN protected dock. The peacekeepers I saw today were US Navy personnel. They have their lunch onboard.

It is the rainy season here, and it began to pour (by Idaho standards) when we arrived last night. It wasn’t a long shower, but that’s what keeps it so green here. One can also see the standing water in the waysides, which certainly provide good mosquito habitat – I have been taking my malaria prophylaxis. Needless to say, by the time I was here some 35 hours after leaving the hotel in Salt Lake City, I was so glad to check into my room, and take my two minute shower and head to bed! But, that wasn’t before I had been greeted by many individuals and best of all Laura. She has done so much to make me feel very welcome, including decorating my berth, and providing for my initial needs. And she sure must have talked me up, as today when I spent time in nursing orientation, I was greeted everywhere as “Oh, Laura’s mom, we are so looking forward to you being here!”

It is going to be a huge learning experience, but I can already say, “I am so glad that I am doing this!” Right now, as the rain once again is pouring against the port window in this onboard internet cafĂ©, and a ship from Panama is making way into port, the perspiration that had formed on the back of my neck during my half hour walk on dock after lunch has finally dried, and a nap seems most compelling, so will sign off with a promise of more to come!

2 comments:

Krackle said...

Linda
We've been praying for your safe arrival in Africa. After reading your 3...2..1..You have arrived, we see that God's hand carried you. All the "coincidences" were perfect timing by Him...the people along the way were none other than angels. Enjoy each day...even if the showers have to be 2 minutes long! Hello, Laura...you must be so excited to have Mom there. Will Aaron join you? Continuing to pray.

Krackle

Diane Johnson said...

Dear Linda,
I've been checking this week to see when you would post your safe arrival! So glad you met others along the way that reminded you of home and also gave you companionship through your journey.
As always, your words are so descriptive and I'm already awaiting your next posting.
God's Blessings to you and Laura.
Diane

PS. News from your Grandview family, Carl Dieters passed away 8/29/08.