I cannot help but be humbled and in awe at the same
time. I have met some of the most
courageous women that I believe walk this earth. Today, as they celebrated a new lease on life
they have been granted because of the healing they have received from God while
aboard the Africa Mercy, I heard more of their stories. I recognize my own jadedness. I have worked in hospitals in the developed
world and faced my own angst when I see people utilizing our limited healthcare
dollars in such frivolous ways, showing up in the ER because 20 minutes ago,
they vomited, . . . . one time, . . .
and they want us to fix it NOW! (And
then they expect me to pay for it with my tax dollars as well.)
For the past few weeks I have been caring for women
who have suffered from shame and rejection, because no one wants to be around a
person who stinks like old urine, and is wet because they constantly leak it,
and perhaps even other bodily wastes.
Today, they told how they have suffered, not for the past 20 minutes, or
20 hours, 20 days, 20 weeks or even 20 months for that matter. Some have suffered for more than 20 years, one even more
than 30. One of the women told how she
was hidden away in a room in her parent’s home for 14 years. No one would have anything to do with
her. Imagine that. I cannot.
I can only sense the incredible despair I would feel being totally cut
off. Despair for life itself. I am awed that God would use me to bring them
a glimmer, followed by a full-scale-light-show of HOPE!
Because of what has happened to these women, through
the ministering hands of Mercy Ship volunteers and a Healing God, they can
celebrate a new beginning and praise.
What a happy day!
Isaiah 43
18“Forget the former things;
do not dwell
on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it
springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams
in the wasteland.
20 The wild animals honor me,
the jackals
and the owls,
because I provide water in the desert
and streams
in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
21 the people I
formed for myself
that they may
proclaim my praise."
No comments:
Post a Comment