Last week, at one of the VVF dress ceremonies, Clementine, the Africa Mercy’s chaplain, who I mentioned in an earlier post, and is pictured in an orange dress right behind me in the top photo of “S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g . . . “ gave a devotional regarding the healing that takes place here and all those who are involved in that happening. She made a comment to the effect that because of the obedience to God on the part of those of us who have answered His call on our lives to come work on Mercy Ships, these women can experience God’s promises of healing fulfilled in their lives. We all know that while Jesus walked the soil of this earth, many came to Him to experience physical healing. (An aside, because it was written by a physician, and has more references than any other Gospel account to physical healing performed by Jesus, I have been enjoying a re-read through Luke’s Gospel, while I am here on Africa Mercy.) But, Clementine went on to say, God doesn’t come down physically Himself now at this time in history to heal people, instead He sends us to be His agents of healing touch in people’s lives. If any of us were to say “No” to the prompting of God in our lives, we would be interfering with His plan for our patients. I hadn’t exactly thought of it in this specific manner, but she is right on, and the words she said were basically a paraphrase of this quote from Don Stephens, the founder of Mercy Ships: “We are God’s hands and feet in this world. We are the ones who are the living, breathing expressions of His love and concern for mankind. So we MUST do something. We MUST act. We MUST become His expressions of love and mercy. The ball is in our court.”
If We Are the Body, a contemporary song by Casting Crowns in the playlist at the bottom of this blog, captures this principle as well. Give it a listen.
I am not going to say I have always been in step with the Choreographer of the Dance, but for this one time, I am sure glad that we are keeping time together. And I am so thankful for all those who are with me in this venture, keeping time to the Choreographer yourselves, as you follow His promptings to provide prayerful support of the actual hands-on caring that goes on here in Liberia. You are appreciated more than you will ever know.
3 comments:
Hi Linda- Wow...so exciting to get here to finally read whats happening for you in Africa. When I read last you were just arriving. Do you see Laura often...will you get to venture off ship to the orphanage she goes to???? I just finished printing a color photo at the library to show Marilyn and Aunt Liz.
Well we are praying for you all ...so stay well and safe and live like the blessed kid of God you are...Love Joy
PS looking forward to John coming to visit us.
Hi Mom,
So glad that you are getting to have this great adventure.
Say hi to Laura!
Love,
Aaron
Hi, Linda, It is so neat to live your adventure thru your eyes. Wow, how neat it is to hear what you are experiencing. I am in awe just from the medical side of it. We have so many "modern and new advances". It is amazing what they can do on Mercy Ship with less. Still praying. Love ya Grandma Jan
Post a Comment