Tuesday, September 2, 2008

S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g and enjoying the process






When you come to Africa Mercy and only have five and half weeks time to make a meaningful contribution, there is no wasting time getting up to speed. I spent about two hours in general hospital orientation last Thursday, (day after arrival) and then two shifts - one evening, on Friday, with a lovely Dutch nurse doing the orienting, and a day shift, Monday, with a perky gal from England showing me the ropes - on ward, (twenty patient capacity in two large rooms of 10 each.)

Today was my first shift alone. However, here one is never really alone. I had gracious answers to all my questions, and there were many things I did today that I had not even encountered in my two orientation shifts. Today I worked with a two other nurses, one from Holland and one from Australia. We made a great team, if I must say myself.

I am working with only VVF patients. The stories of these women would break anyone’s heart. I wish I had the time to sit with each one and hear there saga. Trouble is, when you are caring for 7 and one is going to surgery, and three are being discharged today, there just isn’t time to get the whole scoop. Add to that the language barrier and I don’t get the intimate exchange of conversation that I so love to engage in. Laura seems to have obtained a great grasp of the language nuances of many of the patients and I get some of the stories from her. Most of the women have lost at least one child in childbirth. For one like myself, who as a nurse, has cared for laboring mothers most of my career, I cannot even think of the horrors they have been through. I read through some of the charted stories of those I discharged today. Labor lasting five days, with a stillborn baby the final outcome of a caesarean delivery is just heart rending. The damage to the urinary tract, from a fetal mal-presentation, has left the women living with the shame and stigma of urinary incontinence since their deliveries. Husbands (or the guy who fathered their child) often leave them and they are shunned by members of their communities. The isolation and loneliness they experience has left many of them very depressed.

Then, Mercy comes! in the form of Mercy Ships, Africa Mercy. Here is a place they can be made whole again, in body, mind, and spirit. Dr Steve is their hero! With his skillful hands, guided by the Great Physician, their physical bodies are made complete. Clementine, an African national and one of the Mercy Ship’s crew, has befriended them and visited with them, and shared Jesus’ love with them, and their minds have been lifted from depression and their spirits have had opportunity to have an intimate encounter with He who made them, loves them, and considers each of them to have the highest worth.

Today, I couldn’t help the tears running down my face, even though I hardly know these beautiful women, as seven of them, three my patients, celebrated their Dress Ceremony, a time of new beginning, prior to their dismissal from the ship. I have included a photo (or photos if I am able to work this technology,) just so you can see the beauty of the smiles on their faces, and get a glimpse of some of my coworkers.

Yes, this opportunity is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g me, but then, isn’t that what dancers have to do to develop finesse in their compositions? Sometimes it is uncomfortable, but I am enjoying the final outcomes.

2 comments:

Diane Johnson said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for including the photos. Their dress ceremony dresses are beautiful, such vibrant colors and patterns and each looks so different and individual as if to fit their own personalities.
Colossians 1:6 “… All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing…”
Keep on writing, I enjoy your descriptive words so much.
Diane

Anonymous said...

ello Linda:
It's incredible to see how God has used you in the life of many women. Specially in the ones that seem to have more need than others. Myself for example and now in the life of all those beutiful ones too as you mentioned before.
You are a beutiful creation from our Lord.
May God bless you and keep you safe forever.
Quela Renz